Wednesday, December 20, 2006

 

Gimme Some Credit (Cards), Willya?


Two things happened to me this week. OK, just one thing actually happened to me and the other one was something I heard on the news.

First, I received a concerned notice from a service provider about my business credit card being declined. I replied that I'd look into it. On my credit card's site, the statement showed that the payment was made five days earlier and posted four days after that. I got the concerned notice yesterday.

I think someone needs to communicate better...

I also think this little fire is out and won't become a raging inferno, but who knows? A credit card company once cancelled my account because I attempted a transaction before the month's payment was received. Nothing I said or did was going to change their minds, and I was obviously too slimy and rotten an individual to continue the relationship. Not even a kiss goodbye.

Because of stuff like that, I'm a bit leery of credit cards. I only have one. No, really. I have had as many as three, which is nothing compared to some friends who have those overpacked wallets four inches thick and filled with enough plastic to make a Barbie doll.

Lots of people have the knack for tranferring balances back and forth so it seems like they never pay anything. There's even 0% balance transfers. I don't get it, but they're fanatics about it, like some play the stock market and others gamble. My mother-in-law does it nonstop. When another credit card offer comes with a tempting balance transfer option, she switches...at least until the next one arrives.

That thing I heard on the news is really no news at all. They said that consumer debt is going completely out of sight and keeps right on going. It seems like Christmas is the preferred time in the telecommuncations industry to announce how much in the hole
we all are. Ho ho oh no.

I use mine as a tool for my home business expenses. It seems easy enough, so why can't anyone else do the same? There's lots of credit card advice to be found. Every need and/or want imaginable is bought with a credit card, usually one of several. Have you seen someone whose card is declined who then proceeds to shuffle through a stack of them better than a Las Vegas poker dealer? The truly amazing part is that while they're performing this kind of card trick, they mutter about which are maxed out and which might still have enough of a balance. I hardly know what my balance is on my one and only card.

Most mind-blowing of all about this stuff is using credit cards to pay other credit cards. Stick 'em up, Peter - Here ya go, Paul. No wonder most of us are literally living on the edge. Why not write a check and enter the amount in the checkbook register? Or use cash...even if no one recognizes it anymore.

Well, I have to go apply for another card or I'll have no credit history and be a non-person. Hope they'll take American Express.



P.S. This is a PayPerPost post. For a couple bucks, I tell you what I think and only what I think. If I'm gonna do it anyway, why not?



Link To This Entry| Email This Entry| Del.icio.us | Digg Comments:
Happy New Years!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?