Tuesday, November 14, 2006

 

Not MY Day Off


My youngest son had both Thursday and Friday off last week, and my wife had Monday off.

I suspect my son's days off were really just a thinly veiled device to give school staff a nice long weekend. How many days do kids go to school now anyway - 65??

My wife had actually forgotten about her day off and was preparing to go to work when it suddenly dawned on her. "Hey, I have today off!!"

This created two different scenarios:

1. With my son at home, I felt this nagging guilt at not spending all that time with him, although he never even noticed me there with his GameBoy ablaze. Still, I felt I should stop altogether and go hang out with him and do father-son stuff right away, rather than finish up what I needed to do in just a little time and then interrupt his video game stupor.

2. With my wife at home, it was her wanting to bug me and be entertained. Daytime TV being what it is and housecleaning even less of a thrill, she would often call out, "Honeeeey...how 'bout a cup of tea?" "Honeeeey...wanna go shopping with me?" Honeeeeey..."

You've got your internal pull and your external pull. Slightly exasperating.

I ended up with longer days to get things done, but still time for those distractions after observing my own time limits: 15 minutes, 30 minutes, whatever.

I guess you can do it all, just not all at once.



Link To This Entry| Email This Entry| Del.icio.us | Digg Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?