Saturday, October 07, 2006

 

Working At Home Or Just ...At Home?


Do you work at home?

I don't mean "Do you say you work at home?", I mean do you work at home?

Ever been caught at it?

Yeah, an actual eyewitness account admissable as testimony in court. Fit for a newspaper headline or a shot on the evening news: "Alleged WAHomer Found Working At Home...film at eleven."

Working at home is like being a ghost. No one believes in you until they see real proof and not just an old bedsheet on a broom handle.

Do you have a way to prove that you're really doing something? Stats, article reprints or the ever popular paycheck? Anything you can show, although not necessarily explain? I usually get the zombie look whenever I try to explain what I do.

My explanation is now "I'm a writer." "Oh?" they'll say, "Have you been published?"
Well, duh. I can then honestly say, "I've been published internationally" with that hands-in-the-pockets, slightly disaffected writer attitude.

It tends to keep conversations moving along instead of saying "I work at home and I do this and that and got a web site and stuff and..."

Look out! I'm surrounded by zombies.

If you give some real thought to finding a way to show you're working, people around you - at least the ones that should know - will hop off your back and probably even start pushing.
When you find that way to show it so others know it, you'll know it too and that makes doing it all the easier.

Link To This Entry| Email This Entry| Del.icio.us | Digg Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?