Tuesday, October 31, 2006

 

R.I.P. Coffeemaker


An unthinkable tragedy struck our household the other day.

The coffeemaker died.

It seemed so functional, so cooperative. Each morning I would click its little red button after setting it up the night before and minutes later, there was coffee, glorious coffee.

This day I approached it in my usual bleary-eyed state early in the a.m. and gently clicked the red button. I then resumed work, anticipating the arrival of the aromatic energizer.

When I returned twenty minutes later, the red light was still aglow, but not a drop of coffee in the pot. The panic that ensued within me is most often only seen in movies when the greedy bad guy discovers his loot is gone. Maybe worse.

Clicking and reclicking the button didn't help, nor my tearful pleas. The end had come to a faithful friend.

There was a brief ceremony at the local trash facility (I don't think you can say "dump" anymore) where curious onlookers, upon viewing the deceased, bowed their heads and shared our sorrow.

Goodbye, old friend. Off to Walmart!

Link To This Entry| Email This Entry| Del.icio.us | Digg Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?