Saturday, October 07, 2006

 

Makeover, Please!


I read an article yesterday announcing the winner of a complete home office makeover.

The startling part was the number of people with dark, cold, cluttered basement "offices" for want of a better word.

I have a horrible feeling about who is the majority of home office (and perhaps even home business) owners and it's not the ones with the gleaming, ultra-organized designer
spaces. It's us poor souls stuck into an unused and wel neglected corner of your humble abode, whether apartment closet or basement nook.

Many are either crammed into a crevice or confined to a cave. Oh boy.

I have to confess, my office is a perfect shambles right now. OK, OK...it's been a near-perfect shambles for a while. My desktop space clutters faster than rabbits multiply, the decor is anything but inspiring and "storage space" is a nice way of saying carbboard boxes and old plastic laundry hampers.

This is good news, though. The clock is ticking to the time when this very room will be renovated with a new floor and a much nicer looking set of walls. Which means, of course, that the whole thing is gonna go and then it'll have to be redone.

I don't have a single intention of sinking every penny I've got in creting a new and improved workspace. My kids whine too much when they don't eat for a few days. Sooooo annoying.

First'll be a desk. A big, roomy desk with drawers and all that kind of stuff. A place to place my computer and all its goodies and all the goodies it may ever have. It's gonna last a while and it'll have to allow for some growth, because that's the direction I prefer. No updates for style, trade-ins for function - I want it to handle whatever I want it to handle. Besides that, I'm cheap.

I'm the kind of cheap that believes in getting good quality stuff upfront that lasts
instead of poorly made junk that needs replacing before it's broken in.

Hmmm...I wonder if there's enough in the change jar for a chair too?

Link To This Entry| Email This Entry| Del.icio.us | Digg Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?